Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What is healthy...5 tips and 5 easy snacks.

One of the main questions I receive is from a friend or new client is "I'm trying to eat healthier, What do I eat?"

Now let me state that I am not a nutritionist, All my knowledge in this area I have gained through reading various books, articles and blogs. I have taken various nutrition classes, learned through seminars, and through communications through my team here at CFA.

Although I am not a nutritionist, I can tell you with full confidence that I do understand what is considered healthy eating, and what is not.

Most of you already know that McDonald's is bad for you, contrary to what Yahoo tried to tell you a few days back about the president of  you guessed it...McDonald's..losing 90 lbs on a McDonald's diet.

The media tends to cater to it's audience at times. People want an easy way out, and they feel buying their over processed food is the way to go because it "worked" for one person.

I can pretty much guarantee you she did not lose 90 lbs simply by eating McDonald's every day and running slow and steady on a treadmill, contrary to what they are trying to sell you. The president of McDonald's more than likely had strong nutritional guidance and incorporated activity (other than running) into here daily life.

This article I read screamed "Marketing gimmick" as I read through it.

The media is run by big business, I am not saying everything produced by the media is wrong. I am not saying there is absolutely not an ounce of a chance that she lost weight eating there. but the odds are against her.

While we are in the midst of an epidemic, as obesity tolls are rising, as death is becoming the norm for people at younger and younger ages. It only make sense for a big business such as McDonald's to try and appeal to the scared public, to say that their food isn't unhealthy and in fact it will help you lead a healthy life.

Don't believe them!

Personally, I will never touch a McDonald's sandwich again, I am not telling you that eating a big n' tasty every once in a GREAT while will make your results suffer, but to claim that eating McDonald's twice a day and running slow on a treadmill will make you lose weight, I can not agree.

Money rules the world, Do not take their new marketing strategy to heart. Remember that McDonald's is a MULTI-BILLION dollar company for a reason.

Now please excuse my rant..... You were wondering "So what is healthy...I grew up on fast food, I am not too good of a cook...what can I do?"

My 1st Tip to You.


Learn how to cook.

It may not taste quite well the first time, or the second, or the third...
But, I guarantee you that it will get better. If you don't feel comfortable starting from scratch, find a few recipes and begin to simply follow directions.

If you cook, you have control of what is going into your body. Use vegetables, lean meats, fruits and healthy fats/oils.

My 2nd Tip to You.

Use vegetables, lean meats, Fruits and healthy fats/oils.

Eating fresh and healthy foods will give you a nutritional edge. You will have more energy, feel happier, produce lean muscle mass (as long as you are active) and you will increase your lifespan.

We want to avoid chemicals, anything man made is most likely not too good for us. If it comes from the earth eat it.

My 3rd Tip to You.

Measure your food.

I am not saying you need to live with precise measurements your whole life. But if you are a cooking newbie then measure, measure, measure. If you are reluctant to use a scale or measuring cup then use what i call a "relative scale." Compare your food to another object.

You need to understand how much is going into your body. They may be good foods, but anything in excess is not necessarily the best choice.

In Terms of the "relative scale"
-A good serving of meat is about the size of your fist.
-A good serving of vegetables is around the size of your hand, but feel free to overload the vegetables.
-A serving of fruit is simple, One fruit.
-A healthy serving of nuts is one palm full.

Now these measurements are general, to figure out what your actual needs are come talk to me or email me and inquire about further guidance.

My 4th Tip for You.

Eat a Variety.

Variety is the key to fighting the boredom of eating healthy. You don't need to eat boiled chicken breast and steamed vegetables. 
Learn to season, Eat a variety of lean meats, eat a variety of fruits, nuts, and vegetables. Enjoy your food. Variety will keep you from getting bored and quitting. 

Make it lifestyle by using variety.

My 5th Tip for You.

Don't give up.




To get results we need to stay consistent, Healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week. (Heck the scale may not even move, that does not mean that you are not losing fat!) It usually isn't as drastic as the media makes it seem. Learn to eat right, long term health is the key. Our body has absorbed junk for many, many years (mine included).
In order to offset all the harm that has been done we need to give it time. Eat well, and you will begin to feel your energy and mood take a shift for the better relatively quickly, you will achieve some physical results if you are going straight from horrible to better.
but there will come a time when results seem to be harder to achieve.




5 Easy Snack Ideas


1. Natural Peanut butter and celery
1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter = roughly 100-120 calories and 5 grams of protein
2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter = roughly 200-240 calories and 10 grams of protein

Depending on your goals and body type your needs will vary,  eat accordingly.

2. Sliced bell peppers/ Carrots and hummus
Cut up 1/2 a red bell pepper and 1 Carrot into 1-2 slices.
4 tablespoons of hummus is about 140 calories and 4 grams protein

Depending on your goals and body type your needs will vary (add a little more or less hummus),  eat accordingly.

3. "Turkey Taco"
-3-5 slices lean deli turkey meat, each slice is roughly 30 calories, and 4-6 grams of protein
-1 slice cheese (I use provolone or swiss) approx 60-90 calories depending on brand
-Stuff the meat on top of the turkey meat and fold over as if the cheese is the taco shell.

Depending on your goals and body type your needs will vary,  eat accordingly.

4. Power packed yogurt
1 Greek yogurt, plain
1 handful of blueberries or blackberries
1 handful unsalted trail mix

Mix the Greek yogurt, handful of berries, and trail mix together in a bowl, lightly smash the berries to get the juices to mix with the yogurt and enjoy.

Depending on calorie goals and needs you may want to skip the trail mix.
5. 2 egg Salad
 2 Hard boiled whole eggs, diced
1/3 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1/3 cup diced spinach
1/3 cup diced tomato
1 tablespoon mustard

Perfect snack for just about anyone...ranges between 150-175 calories

I hope this blog has helped you gain a little more knowledge.

If you have any questions on any of these recipes, would like to request recipes to get you started in your cooking journey, f you feel lost in your nutrition programing, or you simply want more guidance email me at mmurphy36@gmail.com or add me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/MikeyCFA

I am here to help you all. Thank you for reading, If you just made it to the end of this blog I will also give you a free 2 week membership to CFA to come see what training with a purpose is about. You all deserve to control your lives, to look and feel the way you desire. It is just a matter of taking control. Don't succumb to marketing gimmicks of fast foods claiming to be healthy or get fit quick schemes. Take your health in your own hands.

God loves you, Mike(y) loves you, so love yourself...




No comments:

Post a Comment